Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Family Falling On Hard Times
Hello, 

My name is Melissa. My daughter will be turning 1 in August. My fiancé and I have been together for 7 years. Last year, I was forced to leave my career as an educator because I was in a long-term sub position, and no one would hire me for the next year because I was pregnant with her. (I can't prove this, but I had good-ass interviews and no offers). This left me on unemployment ($300/week) and I had to take care of her, full time while continuing to pay the same amount of bills I did on a teachers salary (which you may know is not a lot to begin with). Luckily I was able to bring her along for a babysitting gig, but that was only $400/week. This may sound like a decent amount of income in a week, but I have $2,500 in total bills for the month. If you do the math, you will quickly understand why the $300 I have leftover each month has not helped me to get my footing financially over the last year. 

I have my Masters in teaching and the debt to match it. Aside from school debt, I have $8,000 in CC debt because for the past 10 years (possibly even more), I have struggled financially and was forced to max out credit cards to buy essentials like gas and groceries in combination with having absolutely no financial plan, guidance, or sense of need to take control of the issue. Of course, having a daughter has completely shifted our thoughts and goals around money. 

My 2010 car needs a new alternator and I can't afford to do that without using a credit card to do so. Repairs are worth more than the car. I desperately need a new car to get my daughter to daycare reliably but I can't take on the monthly payment. But I am now dumping money I don't have into an old car. It is an endless cycle. 

I am to the point where I simply do not know where to turn. My parents are not able to help me because they do not have the financial means, either. My fiancé is in the exact same boat and despite our efforts, we continuously struggle and sometimes have to forgo groceries just to be able to buy diapers. I have sold many things from my home just to scrape by each month, and have next to nothing left to sell. 

We are humbled by our debts. We are ashamed to have to ask for money this way. But we are at the end of our line and have nowhere to turn. I worry for our daughter's future. 

If you feel you can help in any way, I will extend a personal thank you if I have your information to do so. I thank you profusely for any way you are able to help my family.

PayPal @melger52