Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help to stabilize
Exclamation 
So, my sob story: For the past decade or so I've been taking care of my ailing parents, my mom with copd, my dad with Parkinson's. At first, I'd just moved back in with them and helped with little things around the house, doing the shopping, cleaning up and so on. As they grew worse, these little things started to eat up more and more of my time until, about 7 years ago, I was unable put much time into work and started eating through my savings, which lasted about 3 years. Since my savings has dried up, we'd been living on their Social Security and an extra $400/month I got for taking care of my mom. It was tight, but we did ok, with me doing odd little coding jobs here and there to give a little extra now and then.

My mom died a few months ago and everything fell apart. It came fast, she'd been slowing down quite a bit, but between the time they told her she had cancer and the time she passed was about a month. To start with, my dad's condition worsened by an order of magnitude. Before her death, he needed some mobility help, but he was generally lucid. Once he was on his feet, he was generally ok, but you had to watch him on stairs and the like. After her death, it's like his brain melted. He didn't know where or who he was half the time. His mobility issues also worsened to the point he wasn't even able to get on his bedside commode without help. He takes pills now that keep him in this world, for the most part. 2 days after my mom died, our landlord came by to inform us that we somehow owed her an extra month's rent. This was completely false and I have the receipts and leases going all the way back a decade when they first moved in to prove it. That didn't matter though, I wasn't one of the renters so had no standing, and didn't have power of attorney over my dad either. She waited until he had to go to motor skills rehab for 3 weeks and, while he was in there and couldn't defend himself, she filed for default eviction and got it. Yes, even during the pandemic with the eviction freeze. Since, we've been staying at a cheap motel and, with the little bit of coding work I've been able to get, we had enough to stay here until about a week ago. The manager here took pity on us and let us stay for a while while I tried to get some other income to pay for the room, but time is running out and he's going to have to kick us out soon. Getting remote work with everyone on lockdown and saturating the online workforce is proving to be something of a lesson in frustration. I can't just go get a "normal" job somewhere because my dad needs 24/7 supervision and one of the last things my mom asked of me was to take care of him and Buster (her little dog). It's ironic that with my mom gone, I have more time to write code, but with the lockdown I can't get a job doing it. In the free time I have, I've building my web site (it's not much to look at yet) which will, eventually, provide a passive income stream.

In the time since we were evicted, I've tried every social service I could find, including my church, and none of them can help us, so I'm asking my good friend, The Internet at large because there is nobody else to ask (and I hate having to ask to begin with). I'm trying to get enough to really stabilize. Having no credit or rental history, if I get enough to pay for a year's lease up front that won't be an issue. I figure I'll also need about $400 to get the electric turned on because it was never in my name and they'll want a deposit, and I need (badly) the brakes done on my car, which is quickly falling apart. Anything I get over that, I'm dumping into my web site. Don't get me wrong, I'll appreciate anything I can get at this point. Even if I don't get enough for everything, I'm hoping to at least get enough to pay what I owe the motel here (around $500 at this point) and pay for a little more time to stay here while I keep looking for other income potential and working on my web site. It needs a few hundred more man-hours before I can put it online, but the way things have been who knows how long that'll take. If I get enough, I'll also be able to move to my own hosting which will open a lot of features as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

My PayPal link:
https://www.paypal.com/donate?token=1WXlyC7IxNR9PL3ctlKr5kpjBw_DunjIrj8q1nvAeRKC28gCXjB4jLtzDhsdwjHyouPtuZz9_ap5m6JN
CashApp: $disabo