Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little help with dictionary for education
Dear FreeBeg,

I'm a student currently studying high school in a remote town in California.

When I first began learning Chinese a few years ago I would often rely on paperback dictionaries to aid me in learning. Despite looking online I could not find a dictionary primarily focused on the etymology of Chinese characters so I could put things into context.

I come from a background of Cantonese and European ethnicities, and as a result, I have been often pressured by relatives into learning Mandarin and perfecting my sloppy Cantonese (passable at the moment). 

Recently however I found out there is a virtual dictionary, called the Outlier Dictionary of Chinese Characters available which I demoed and found incredibly useful. However, it startled me to find out it cost $30 for the Essentials edition and $60 for the Expert edition.
I have wanted to get it for a long time - I've even tried applying for a job cleaning at a local fast-food restaurant - in order to try to save up some money - but I was rejected for being underage. 

My family works very hard to make ends meet (mainly due to the high price of living in such a rural place) and as a result, they refuse to waste money on such a "useless" piece of software.

Next year, I am planning to take a family visit trip to Guangdong, Mainland China (my hometown), and having this dictionary on my side would be incredibly helpful. Already from the demo, I have learned an immense amount about Chinese characters. 

I hope this is not too much to ask of you, but if you could perhaps help out, I would be immensely grateful. I have previously turned to Reddit for help, but in our suspicion-filled world no-one's willing to help out. Please, it would be so kind of you. 

There is a registration code that appears upon purchase, and that is all I need to activate it. I don't need money or anything else sent to me. It can be found at the link: https://www.outlier-linguistics.com/coll...characters

Thank you so much in advance.