Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Physician Associate Funding
Hello everyone,

I am a Physician Associate Student in the UK. A physician associate is a relatively new healthcare role in the UK which aims to fill the demand for healthcare workers in the NHS. Physician Associates are able to do a lot of the tasks doctors are able to apart from prescribe (for now) and so are valuable in reducing the NHS workload also. 

I have always wanted to work in healthcare and work in a rewarding career where I am helping improve the quality of life of others. I was overjoyed to have received an offer for a Postgraduate Masters in Physician Associate Studies course and have an opportunity to do so. Having a degree in a Life Sciences is necessary to qualify for this 2 year Masters course and I started straight after finishing my undergraduate degree. 

Unfortunately the government have stopped funding the course costs. This has left a lot of us in a financially unstable position. 
The course costs £9250 a year; accommodation costs are £5000 a year + placement travel and food leaving us to find £28500+ to be able to afford the course. The only funding available through the government is £5000 a year which doesn’t even cover tuition. There was a career development loan which works out as £5000 over two years also (this has sadly been discontinued this year and I wonder how future years are going to fund their studies) but this still leaves £8,500 left to find. Some universities are able to offer students a £2,500 bursary in the first and second year of the course. This still leaves us with £3500 left to fund +travel costs and living costs.

It is recommended that students don’t work alongside the course as it is full-time, Monday to Friday 8am-6pm. I have considered trying to get some part time work but since starting the course I have realised there is no way that I could have done so whilst keeping on top of my studies. I had also considered taking a year out to earn money before starting but if I had done that I would have not had access to the career development loan as the year of my offer was the last year this loan was being made available.
Furthermore my family have encountered financial difficulty and I wish I could support them like I could in my undergraduate degree by working a part time job but being unable to do so this time around is upsetting. 

If I were to have the financial worry alleviated then I believe that I would perform much better as I wouldn’t spend so much time worrying. As a result have more time to put towards revision and be able to fully focus on becoming the best healthcare professional I can be.

I would greatly appreciate any help towards my tuition, rent, placement travel and food costs. 

My Cash App tag is £PhysicianAssociate or $PhysicianAssociate

Thank you so much in advance, any help would mean so much to me!