Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed: new instrument for continuing musicaly
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I want to thank you all for spending your time to read my post.

A little about myself: I'm 28 years old and living in the suburbs of Zurich, Switzerland. I work as a shoemaker in the city. My interests are found in literature, science, meteorology, art design, vintage clothing and music. For over 10 years I'm successfully dealing with vintage (mostly 1950's-60's) guitar parts and accessories like case candy, hardware and electric compounds.

Well, my biggest and most enjoyable hobby has been making music by strings. I started with acoustic guitar by 10, switched to electric bass with 14 for a school band act and finally ended up with playing electric guitar 'til my early 20's. After I finished high school and started to work I was dreaming about having an old instrument, with 21 I was lucky enough to afford me a 1967 Rickenbacker 330 that I found in Germany for a at the time in Europe rare and low price. Unfortunately, after a bad accident (where I first thought I would loose my right leg) I had to sell this guitar to pay my incoming bills and hospitality taxes. That was very hard for me because I had to let it go for much less than I had intended. However, since then and after about a year of recovery, I kept making music with my acoustic guitar (a birthday present for my 10th birthday). I got used to it pretty well and was able to compose a lot with it. But to be honest, I miss the feeling of playability you'll only have with an electric guitar. And since I'm obsessed with the sounds of artists like Captain Beefheart, The Stooges, MC5, The (Pontiac) Punks or Talking Heads for years, I'd like to play their compositions more properly.

As a shoemaker I earn a good income, enough for living and paying my rent for sure. But by the end of the month I'm not even able to save enough money for vacation. On weekends I don't go out downtown much anymore for having fun: it's just not my type of music and I don't drink alcohol. But nonetheless, I'd like to have some sort of valve to release by the end of the week and settle down a little. Playing guitar always helped me a lot here, I just want to take it to another level, more powerful. I hope here I can get some help for continuing my musical work. I'm glad to find a site like this, personally would regret it to not at least trying to get some financial help. I have found many instruments in the US and Europe that are for sale with cheap prices. Since my above named favorite bands were using Fender Stratocasters at their lifetime, I'm concentrating on this specific instrument. But I'm not willing to ask for a vintage 1960's guitar worth between $11'000 and $25'000 (like most pre-CBS and early CBS fabrications). Fender always has found a fair and good alternative with their American Vintage Series that first was introduced in 1982 (Fullerton-Era). And since 2012 a new line brought out the AV '59 (Re-Issue of the legendary 1959 transition era "slab board" Stratocaster) and AV '65 (Re-issue of the CBS era Stratocaster with grey bobbin PU's and gold transition logo). Now, what still amazes me about the latest American Vintage run is, that they looked after each tiny detail: starting from with the nostalgic case candy (period correct grey Fender cable, black leather strap, bridge cover, tremolo bar, alternate conversion selector switch, Tremolo springs, hang tags/manuals), through a period correct hardshell case (black tolex, Fender "tail" logo, red interior lining), '65 style white pickguard, thin skin laquer finish up to the Fender/Kluson "single-line" tuners. For sure a great and worthy investment for musicians who love vintage instruments but can't afford the real deal from back in the day. The price range for the AV '59 is $1390 to $2050 and for the AV '65 $1450 to $2100. Their original factory sale price is between $2200 and $2400 (in some rare cases even same as a Custom Shop model around for approx. $3400).

A donation of around $1800 would already allow me to buy one of those magnificent Re-issues. It would mean everything to me, probably bring a fresh wind my life. These guitars are very hard to get in Switzerland, and if they are, they're overpriced in most cases. I'm thankful to all readers and donators who are willing to help me.

Any person is dearly welcome to make a donation right here: http://paypal.me/Leeroy422

I thank you all very much for your time and wish you only the best in life.

Blessings and best regards from Switzerland,
Kl33