Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Graduate jobseeker needs help
I am a woman in the UK and am currently experiencing severe financial hardship and would be extremely grateful for help.

I graduated from university 3 years ago with a science related degree.   Since then, I have tried very hard to find a permanent job.   I have not been fussy and have applied for a wide variety of roles, but I have only been able to obtain temporary work, mostly in offices.  It has been very disappointing to be told over again by employers that they are happy with my quality of work, but do not need my services anymore.

My last position ended in January this year and since then, I have really struggled on Universal Credit.  I have a debts which I cannot pay, and am struggling with the rent and general living expenses such as clothes, travel and food.  I am currently on a token payment plan with Step Change, but have been advised to obtain a debt relief order, which I don't want, but is looking like my only choice.

My debts were mostly caused by borrowing money to study and improve my prospects.  I have also incurred debt in the past due to moving costs, as I have relocated a few times in the past to find work.

I received a letter from my landlord a month ago threatening me with eviction.  Although I have come to an arrangement to pay what I can, this incident has caused me extreme stress and I have been prescribed antidepressants by my doctor.

I have lived in my home for 8 years, but have never been able to afford to fully furnish it.  I do not have curtains or full carpet in the bedroom.   The walls in the hallway and living room desperately need painting.  My vacuum cleaner is of poor quality, so I've been unable to vacuum properly.

Although I have been applying for jobs and attending interviews, I am struggling to afford new suitable clothes and shoes which I can wear to interviews.  The shoes I have are worn and hurt my feet.  

I am also finding it hard to afford travel costs to interviews.  I volunteer with FoodCycle once a week, but lately I have not been able to afford to attend the Tuesday evening sessions.  This has led me to feel depressed and isolated. 

I plan to use the money I hope to raise in the following ways:

- Clearing rent arrears

- Reducing my other debts

- Furnishing my home

- New clothes and shoes for job interviews
- Travel costs for job interviews and volunteer work.  I would also like to take driving lessons to improve my job prospects.

I am also planning to further my education in the future, although I haven't decided on anything definite yet.

I would be extremely grateful if you could help me.  I am a hard working, decent person who has tried very hard to succeed and will keep on trying.

My paypal link is: paypal.me/DianeN42