Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Mom and Teacher Fighting Cancer

Everyone that knows Marla already knows what a wonderful person she is and her recent diagnosis of Stage III B-Cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma has taken a toll on all of us. Our mom is a fantastic woman, but as a public school teacher for 23 years and part time tutor for 20 years. This diagnosis is causing financial stress in our home. Marla has committed 23 years of her life to education, teaching, and raising her kids as a single mom, but as a result of this diagnosis lost wages and treatment costs such as co-pays, premiums, and medications pose a substantial obstacle financially. Any and all help is appreciated and all funds will go towards treatment costs, medications, bills, groceries and other necessities. Our mom is a dedicated mother and teacher. She has worked 12 hours a day and usually 2 part time jobs on top of full time teaching to make ends meet. She has taught hundreds of children to read, helped hundreds of young adults pass their graduation exams ans taught children to swim in the summer. She has given us everything possible, including the best education and strong character.  My brother and I  are going to college full time and work multiple  to help pay all the bills, but it is never enough under even regular circumstances, BUT some how my mom always makes it work and still finds resources for her neediest students. Our mom never gives up on us or any of her students! Her R-CHOP therapy began on June 7th and will continue through late September if she responds well to the treatment. We will have an update on her response to the therapy after a PET scan following the third treatment around July 19th. Thank you for reading and for supporting our mom, one of the real super heroes!