Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Apartment Fire - Need A Bit of Help
Brick 
Hello, Everyone.

My name is Erik, and I'm here to ask for a bit of help.  I've never really had to ask for help before, so this is a bit new for me.

Last Saturday, June 12th my roommate David and I had a fire in our apartment unit.  From what the fire inspector told us, our bathroom fan shorted out and burst into flames.  The entire bathroom ceiling got torched, along with some other parts of the bathroom.  Fortunately, the fire was contained to the bathroom, however water got in the adjacent rooms since they had to tear the ceiling out to pur out the fire.

Fortunately,  not a lot of our stuff got burnt, but a lot of things did get wet.  The biggest problem, though, is smoke damage.  The ceiling went up so quick that within a minute or so the entire apartment was filled with smoke everywhere but maybe a foot from the floor.  The smoke was so thick you couldnt see even an inch in front of you.

Neither of us got hurt, and the firefighters managed to get our 3 cats out of the unit, so that's what is really important.

Unfortunately, the fire has made our unit unlivable.  We were displaced for around a week before we could get into a new apartment.  We stayed in a hotel for that week. Many of the things we own, especially our beds and furniture and clothes have been considered to be unsalvagble, so we have really nothing in our new apartment.  We bought a couple air mattress, blankets, necessities etc ap we could get by.

I do have renters insurance, however they will not cover any of my roommates items, and will only reimburse the cost of my items minus depreciation.  This means I likely wont even be able to replace what was lost.  In the meantime, we are burning through all the money we have saved very quickly as we are having to eat our a lot, try to replace needed items etc.  The insurance process is a slow one, unfortunately.

I'll admit that this could have been a lot worse, but even so, we are in need of some help to try to recover from this and get back on our feet and regain some sense of normalcy.

Any help that can be given would be very appreciated by us both.  I tried to attach pictures of the bathroom and some other damage but apparently the file sizes are too large.

Donation Link: http://paypal.me/Kyarok

Thank you for reading this.