Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
HELP ME RAISE FEES FOR A MASTERS DEGREE
Hi My name is Thomas and this is my story….

18 years ago while in secondary school in form 4, I was sent home due to lack of school fees. Being sent away for school fees was a normal thing because all through my secondary education, my parents had difficulties in providing food for the family let alone paying school fees.

Am a Kenyan man aged 38 and the third born in a family of 5. My elder brother dropped out of school in form 2 and this made me so sad because by then I was in class 8 and hoping to go to secondary the following year. The thought of being branded a drop-out scared me so much and I was unable to concentrate on anything as I had always dreamed of becoming a graduate and changing the lives of my family.

So when on this particular day I was sent home, I felt like all the doors had been slummed shut all at once!!! The world had suddenly come crashing on me. So I walked together with other students who had also been sent away for lack of school fees. Some were happy to go home and enjoy some time off as their parents figured out where to get money from. I could not shed tears because my friends would laugh at me and think am not a man enough but deep inside I was bleeding because I was just about to become the second drop-out in our poor family. On reaching the school gate, I stepped out and turned to look at the school for one last time and I guess I got lost in thoughts and stared at the school for quite some time because when I came back to my senses, my friends had gone and I could only see them at a distance.

I found myself walking back into the school compound instead of going home. I did not know where in the school I wanted to be but I had decided not to leave the school no matter what. I would rather die than be counted among school drop-outs. I walked straight to our guidance and counseling office and before the teacher asked what I needed I sat down and I could not hold myself anymore. I broke down and cried like a small baby. I was a man yes but the issues I was facing left me feeling like a helpless toddler that had been left in the middle of nowhere to fend for himself.

After some time I was able to talk and the only thing that I could say was “I am better dead than alive”. I had made a decision to take my life and die in the school rather than walk out and go into a world that I was not even sure could accommodate me as a semi illiterate man.

The Lord had better plans for me and this was just the beginning. My teacher told me to hold on to the suicide thought and give her time to sort out issues. But I still had to go home and come the following day. When I reported to school the following day, the Deputy Head teacher called me and told me they had decided to keep me in school for the remaining few months until I do my exams on condition that I would not get my certificates until I clear all the fees. This gave me new hopes in life because I did not care whether they locked up my certificates forever as long as I finish my secondary school education.

Six months later, I did my KCSE exams and on the last day of the exams everyone was so happy to have gone through the secondary education and all were jubilating as we walked outside the school compound. Once again, I found myself outside the school compound but this time round not due to lack of school fees but because I had cleared my secondary school education. Words could not explain my joy and all I found myself doing is praising the Lord for granting me the favor to go through this phase of life that was so important to me.

I turned to look at the school gate that had the name of the school and the motto in big bold letters. I made a prayer of thanksgiving to my God and asked for just one thing, that one day before I die, I become a graduate. I did not know where or how I’ll get to go to University but I trusted and believed that the same God who ensured that I went through my secondary education was faithful enough to grant me this new request.

It has not been easy because first of all getting my certificate out of school took me around seven years and at the end God had to touch the President of our country (His excellency Mwai Kibaki)  in 2007 who declared that all certificates that had been held in schools due to school fees arrears should be released.

I went to school and picked my certificates and the hopes of furthering my education were live again!! Immediately I enrolled for a Diploma in Purchasing and Supplies Management course in Kenya Institute of Management and though I was still struggling to make ends meet, I graduated in the year 2009.

I could not raise enough fees to go to university until 2014 when I enrolled for a Bachelor of Business Management in Mount Kenya University (MKU). I struggled through the years and God opened various doors including access to loans that saw me get fees for my education.

On Friday 7th 2018, I was all smiles as I graduated with a Bachelor of Business Management Marketing Option from Mount Kenya University.

I am convinced and I pray that one day I will become a PHD holder because my God has and is still doing great wonders in my life. I am a living testimony and a confirmation of the words in Jeremiah 29:11 (For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.)

Yes, the Lord has given me hope and as I embark on the journey to attaining a Masters Degree, I know He is faithful enough to give me victory again to the glory of His name.

I call upon all well-wishers who feel God can use them as channel to realize my dream in education to kindly help me in any way. I intend to take enroll for a Masters in Theology or Divinity as I am now serving as an Evangelist in the Presbyterian Church. This course will help in equipping me more as I serve the Lord in spreading the gospel and mentoring more Christians.

The cost of this course is around $10,000 in my country and I am hoping to take my studies here as I continue to work and take care of my family.

Feel free to donate any amount through my PayPal link below.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cm...source=url