Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
24 just obtained custody of siblings
A few weeks ago, my dad and stepmom were in a car accident, leaving my dad paralyzed and my stepmom DOA. I live a few states away, so I've asked my job/college for time off to be with my family. While my dad is in recovery, I've been caring for my 4 year old sister and 9 year old brother. I've been okay for the past month, but paying bills at my old place, and caring for my siblings without steady income is starting to become difficult. I plan to move my family at the end of year so that I can resume my old career, but I will need to find a bigger place that will accommodate everyone. I've attempted to find a temporary job in the local area, but finding something that will work with both children's schedule/ therapy sessions, and learning how to care for my dad when he's out of recovery doesn't leave much room for me to be "reliable"

Does anyone have suggestions on what I can do to help my family for the next 1-2 months? A few family members have helped out, but I was in the best situation out of most of my family so I hate to put them in a financial situation trying to help me.

Other people have suggested asking for donations, which would be great (mperspective is my venmo handle) but I'm really looking for something long term. I want to be able to find something so that I can at least pay rent and make sure the kids have a good Christmas-considering.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
As far as Christmas, I've known Goodwill and other Charities to have Christmas programs where people donate new gifts to the kids that are signed up. It might be something to look into this year anyway. As f or the finances I would also recommend asking everwhere, churches, family services, EVERYWHERE you can think of. They may not be able to help directly but they will likely know who can.