Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uni student with tuition loan to get rid off
Hi everyone,
I'm a student at the University of Amsterdam (The Netherlands) and I am 21 years old. I am studying to be a social worker so I can help children and teens to live a happy life one day. To be able to do this, I had to move from a small town to big city Amsterdam 2,5 yrs ago, but financially it has been a struggle to pay tuition fee.

I've been working for 20 - 35 hours a week for the past two years while going to school +- 25 hours a week. This is probably the hardest period I've been through. I was working this much just so I could save up a bit of money and to pay my tuition. But my grades were dropping down, so I decided to loan money and to work less. I try to put money aside for next year's tuition and to pay off my loan, but since I don't have a lot of money coming in, it's going pretty slow. And the money that is getting in, is my loan. My loan is around 20.000 euros now, which will probably end in between 25.000 and 35.000 euros (2 yrs in Uni left). 

Even though I am getting good grades now, I feel scared and anxious about my future. I've cut on expenses and I am trying to be more aware of my behaviour when it comes to spending. I feel more relaxed since I have time to focus on my future and my health but I am also stressed because my loan is bothering me. In the Netherlands a lot has changed; normally we would be funded by the Government to pay (partly) for tuition, but they have cut all the funds and created this loan system. You get registered in a special system, which will affect you with a lot of purchases (such as renting/buying, having subscriptions etc).

I don't want to be drowning in my loan or in my thoughts about getting it together anymore. I have my entire life ahead of me and all I can see is my loan haunting me with every decision I make, another image I often see is me struggling through Uni to get groceries and what not. I wish I had parents or grandparents who'd help me out just like my peers. But I am all by myself, sometimes my mom funds me, but she's a single mom who's also trying to make a living, so I always feel uncomfortable when she helps me out.

I might not have the worst situation and I know that there are a lot of people around the world who struggle with worse problems. I am grateful I am in the position to go to school and to develop my skills. I just hope that it will be easier one day, and that I won't have to stress over my big tuition loan. I would like to thank everyone reading this; because even telling my story is clearing up my head. 

If you'd like to help me out, I can show you my tuition loan as evidence.

Thank you. 

paypal.me/bsoztrk